Each of the district's 29 buildings are now equipped with carbon monoxide detectors.
Crews installed them during winter break.
Unit Five Superintendent Gary Niehaus says the decision to put them in came after a report aired on WMBD-31.
About a month ago, deadly levels of the toxic gas were found at a home in Normal.
It cost the district $1,300 to install the devices.
Niehaus says going the extra mile to keep kids safe is worth it.
"It was precautionary. We really had no indications or any issues. It was more of a, 'Hey, it's happening someplace else, it might happen here," explained Niehaus.
People are at higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning during the winter months, when furnaces are running and windows are closed.
Unit Five says schools are not required to have detectors, but it has peace of mind, knowing they're installed.