The couple decided to light up their fire place at their home on the 3,600 block of Cassadaga Court.
That's what firefighters believe started the chimney fire, which sent the attic up in flames. No one was injured and firefighters put out the blaze, but said there's one way people can take action to make sure this doesn't happen to them.
"Well obviously, proper maintenance on their chimney. If they haven't had their chimney cleaned in a few years, or something line that, they need to have their chimney cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney inspector," said Peoria Fire Chief, Kent Seiler.
Seiler said the ceiling of this house collapsed because of severe water and smoke damage.