That's because the company he rents from just installed carbon monoxide detectors there.
"I really didn't know the danger of not having one in our home," said Granfeldt.
Recently, firefighters discovered mass amounts of CO in a house located in the 500 block of Broadway Avenue in Normal.
Furnace piping had become disconnected causing the odorless, toxic gas to leak out.
"Carbon monoxide bonds to the oxygen in your blood stream and prevents your brain from absorbing it. So, literally you're suffocating yourself to death in your sleep and you don't want to wake up," explained Normal Fire Department Public Information Officer Matt Swaney.
State law requires a CO detector be within 15 feet of sleeping rooms.
But college student Ashley Sison doesn't have one near her bed.
"It's not really my top concern, but I was definitely thinking about bringing one back to school," she said.
Other people shared the same verdict.
No CO detectors are in their homes.
"They were not in there so...we never bothered putting them in," said Daniel Hammond.
The going rate for a standard alarm is about $20.
"It's not something I've ever been concerned about," Hammond added.
Weighing the options, firefighters say a person's life is priceless.
So when it comes to the cost of a detector, compared to someone's safety, they say shelling out a few dollars for a device is a pretty good sell.
If you choose not to install or maintain a carbon monoxide detector, it's a Class B misdemeanor and can result in jail time.
Tips to Avoid CO Poisoning:
-Make sure flues, chimneys and vents are clear of debris.
-Replace carbon monoxide detectors every five to seven years.
-Don't use unvented space heaters, gas stoves, or charcoal grills as sources of heat.