People placed flags along Route 29 in Pekin Wednesday. That's the route a motorcade will use when returning Shaffer's remains to Pekin.
Shaffer was killed last week in Afghanistan in a helicopter crash. Those who knew shaffer say they're comforted by the support they're getting from the community.
"It shows the family and friends and staff that they are not going to be forgotten, their sons are not going to be forgotten for what they have done," said Pekin VFW Commander Eric Benson. "It shows the family that it is a community that is going to back them up."
"That is what he enlisted for... to support people," said friend Krishan Fulk. "So seeing that people are going to give back is awesome."
More flags will be placed around Pekin Thursday.
- Shaffer's remains are scheduled to return to the 182nd Air Wing in Bartonville Thursday at 2 p.m.
- A procession will take Airport Road to 474, then to Route 29 ending at Preston-Hanley Funeral Home in Pekin.
- A visitation will be held from 2 until 5 p.m. Sunday afternoon at the funeral home.
- The funeral will be Monday at 10 a.m., also at the funeral home.
- Burial will be at Prairie Haven Cemetery in Pekin.